hard drive cannot be found

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

hard drive cannot be found

Postby charper1000 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:38 pm

hi

when i open +extract and refresh availible hard drives (left window) i only get my main pc hard drive show up not my sky HD hard drive, but it shows up in the extracton location window (right window). how do i get it to show up in the left window for extraction?

thanks for your help. 8)
charper1000

Same Problem Here

Postby Craig » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:32 am

I just downloaded +Extract, and, like charper1000, I can't get +Extract to see my Sky+ HD hard drive.

I've removed my hard drive from the Sky box and have put it in a newly-purchased hard drive "caddy," connected to my PC with a USB cable.

Before trying +Extract I used Copy+ to copy selected programmes to my my PC. Copy+ had no problem seeing the Sky hard drive, and no problem copying the programmes to my internal hard drive.

So now I'd love to extract the free-to-air programmes. I installed the latest version of +Extract, but it just doesn't see the Sky hard drive (H:/).

I can see the H drive in "My computer." I've also gone to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. When I go to Storage > Disk Management I can see the H drive there, along with the C, E, and F.

+Extract does see the C, E, and F drives --- but with a big red X next to each of them. It just doesn't see the H drive.

I notice, for what it's wroth, that the Sky drive (H) is FAT32, and the other three are NTFS. I'm running Windows XP Pro with the latest service pack applied.

Here's a screen shot of the control panel, in the hope that it will be helpful:

I don't relish the prospect of trying to get my failed Sky+ HD box fixed, and then trying to put the hard drive back (this one, or a new one) to then copy the programmes to DVD. It would be so much better if the +Extract programme worked.

All it needs to do is see the Sky hard drive. So near, yet so far.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Craig
Craig

Postby neildo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 am

Try +Extract version 0.2.7.

Also, use Stuart's img2fat tool to create an image of this problem drive (excludes the video clusters) and send to me so that I can fix this particular problem. If you don't mind, of course.

PM me for contact details.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Postby neildo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 am

I've made some changes to the hard disk validator so give it a blast.
neildo
Expert

Re: hard drive cannot be found

Postby bluemoonin65 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:41 am

I have downloaded 0.3.0.7 and have run into the same issue - even though Windows sees the drive and it even shows as a destination drive in +Extract it is not listed as a source drive.

I know I am probably without hope but if anyone can toss a few ideas or suggestions my way then I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance especially to the author for getting the project this far with, it seems, little thanks or appreciation.
bluemoonin65

Postby neildo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 am

What does Copy+ make of the problem hard disk?
neildo
Expert

Postby bluemoonin65 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Copy+ worked great, the contents of the disk copied onto a new 1Tb disk without a hitch. I was trying to get a few of the FTA recordings from the old Sky HD drive before formatting it and giving it to the local school to use.
bluemoonin65

Postby Puntoboy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm having the same problem with the latest version.

At the moment I'm using Copy+ to create an image of the drive then I'm going to see if Extract+ will rip out the video.
Puntoboy

Postby ruffage » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Bump.

Running W7 Home, and have installed the pre-requisite code, however Extract isn't detecting the drive, which Windows does, showing the drive in Explorer and its contents.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
ruffage

Postby neildo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:49 pm

ruffage wrote:Bump.

Running W7 Home, and have installed the pre-requisite code, however Extract isn't detecting the drive, which Windows does, showing the drive in Explorer and its contents.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

What version of +Extract?

What pre-requisite code?
neildo
Expert

Postby ruffage » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:54 pm

The instructions quote the following requirements:

1) .NET Framework 2.0 here.
2) Visual C 8 runtime here.

I also used Extract v0.3.0.7.

Windows 7 comes bundled with .NET 3.5 anyhow so wouldn't accept 2.0.

Anyhow, problem worked around by using my netbook running XP Pro instead. No issues there. Many thanks for your app.
ruffage

Re: Same Problem Here

Postby spookyfish » Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Craig wrote:I just downloaded +Extract, and, like charper1000, I can't get +Extract to see my Sky+ HD hard drive.

I've removed my hard drive from the Sky box and have put it in a newly-purchased hard drive "caddy," connected to my PC with a USB cable.

Before trying +Extract I used Copy+ to copy selected programmes to my my PC. Copy+ had no problem seeing the Sky hard drive, and no problem copying the programmes to my internal hard drive.

So now I'd love to extract the free-to-air programmes. I installed the latest version of +Extract, but it just doesn't see the Sky hard drive (H:/).

I can see the H drive in "My computer." I've also gone to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. When I go to Storage > Disk Management I can see the H drive there, along with the C, E, and F.

+Extract does see the C, E, and F drives --- but with a big red X next to each of them. It just doesn't see the H drive.

I notice, for what it's wroth, that the Sky drive (H) is FAT32, and the other three are NTFS. I'm running Windows XP Pro with the latest service pack applied.

Here's a screen shot of the control panel, in the hope that it will be helpful:

I don't relish the prospect of trying to get my failed Sky+ HD box fixed, and then trying to put the hard drive back (this one, or a new one) to then copy the programmes to DVD. It would be so much better if the +Extract programme worked.

All it needs to do is see the Sky hard drive. So near, yet so far.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Craig

had exactly the same problem..... although it worked on one instance and then not the next. when i looked at the log on +extract it said "no disk found" when it was trying to read my HDD's plugged into USB. I overcame this problem by directly connecting my drive to the motherboard IDE connection and hey presto it worked! showed up instantly :)
hope this helps solve problems for people and give the developers some clues as to how to fix this bug.
spookyfish

Postby pcbbc » Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 am

If exactly the same disk works when directly attached to the PC, but fails when attached via USB - then this conclusively points at a USB hardware issue.
The way in which Copy+ and +Extract detect and access the disks is entirely the same by either method. All of the hardware differences between the two attachment methods are handled by Windows.
I have had problems with many of the cheaper USB "dongle" type adapters and even some caddies/enclosures. I am afraid the quality isn't up to much on some of these units.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby ereiamjh » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm having a similar problem:

Using Copy+ I can make images of the hard drive regardless of how I have it connected

Using +Extract 0.3.0.7 I run into different problems depending on how the drive is connected.
If it's connected via USB, then the drive appears in the 'Extraction location' window, but does not appear in the 'Physical disks' window.
If it's connected via IDE the program halts during the drive scan with the message "SmartExceptionCore.UnhandledException @ 868.offset.38" I'm given the option to 'Ignore this error and attempt to continue' but the scan just continues and never ends.
ereiamjh

Postby ereiamjh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Disappointed at the complete lack of support here!

Seriously... who in their right mind is going to shell out £15 for the full version if they can't even get the 'lite' version working? Not me that's for sure
ereiamjh

Next

Return to +Extract General Support