Amstrad DRX780 HDD Upgrade

Need a guide to upgrading your box? Want to document your upgrade? - This is the forum for you!

Postby Interstice » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi,
In pulled my 780 apart today to remove the 320 HDD and fit a new 1TB Hitachi purely to increase the recording capacity. I connected the 320 to my laptop to use copy+ to lift the original content to an image file (which would then be written to the new Hitachi HDD). However copy+ tells me that it does not support the Darwin EPG. I suspect somebody out there has a workaround for this or do I have to wait for copy+ to overcome this? I don't want to lose the original disk content (wife would kill me).
I also noticed the PSU looks a little heat stressed so am considering replacing all of the capacitors therein, I cannot find a kit of capacitors. Does anyone have a list of these or know of a kit supplier?
Many thanks
Interstice

Re: Amstrad DRX780 HDD Upgrade

Postby Interstice » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Just found expvr and have bought it and downloaded it. Giving it a try so will let you know the outcome
Interstice

Postby Traceeo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Anybody had any success with a 1TB hdd upgrade in the Amstrad HD box?

Im considering the Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB since there are a lot of people using these in other boxes.

Thanks

Комплексное интернет-продвижение вашего сайта!
Сбор различных баз для продвижения в интернете
Эффективно и недорого. Писать в ICQ 656310373
Traceeo

Postby FitmanLow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:29 am

Hi there,

I recently bought an Amstrad DRX890 Sky HD box off eBay to replace my current Amstrad DRX280.

Thanks to this forum I have managed to take out the HDD from the DRX890 and Im hoping to transfer the programmes from the DRX280 onto the new DRX890.

Before I do this, does anyone know if this is possible? are there any compatibility issues with the 2 different systems? I know the new HD EPG is quite different to the old one.....

Also, does anyone know of any guides to removing the HDD from the DRX280? I managed to open the DRX890 and take out the HDD from a video that somebody posted so kudos for that

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
FitmanLow

Re: Amstrad DRX780 HDD Upgrade

Postby pcbbc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi, thanks for your post. Glad this site was of at least some use. :oops:

Unfortunately Copy+ is fairly much a legacy product now, having not been updated in many years. While I think it can still handle the very old SD box formats, it hasn't been updated to cope with the HD planner changes and the XTVFS format has very much moved on.

I would suggest investigating a product called ExPVR which I understand is compatible with the new HD planner formats. However, as it's not not my product, what support it offers for transferring over from legacy formats on other boxes I cannot say. Good luck.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Box Upgrade Guides