Amstrad DRX890 HDD upgrade

Need a guide to upgrading your box? Want to document your upgrade? - This is the forum for you!

Re: Amstrad DRX890 HDD upgrade

Postby pcbbc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 am

Bezza90 wrote:My main question is My model number is seemingly different to others, does that mean anything significant? I also notice the model number on the box it came in has a is DRX890-C and not R like a previous poster?
SYSF implies Darwin, so just a different build/version that's all.

Apparently:
DRX-890-C = China
DRX-890-R = Romania
Same hardware I'd assume, just different manufacturing plants.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby PeteW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:56 pm

In a bid not to wreck the case on my DRX890, can someone give me a couple of pointers to removing it please?
My new DRX890 has 2 screws on the back which I've removed.
Do the ones underneath (which are down a few centimetre hole) need removing too? Looks like it.
What type of screw are these? Torx or Philips?
I don't have a suitable screwdriver which fits the hole/screw combination so will have to get one.

Thanks
PeteW

Postby pcbbc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:49 pm

pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Bazz » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Guys, I took delivery of two of these Amstrad boxes yesterday, one as a free upgrade from Sky for having my old Thompson box for so long and one I bought for 50 quid to replace a basic digibox. I had had the usual power supply problems with the Thompson and had changed the capacitors for some more robust ones but the box still hung on occasions so an upgrade seemed like a good idea.

I had also upgraded the Thompson some time back to a WD 1TB ECVS drive and found the process quite painless, I can't say the same with this Amstrad box! I wanted to swop the 500GB standard drive with my 1TB drive so looking at your pictures here I did it yesterday and I am pleased to say it works and all my recordings are still there. Hooray!

What I am not happy with is the upgrade procedure, talk about making things difficult, this box, whilst it may be acknowledged as the best of what is currently available, is a pig to breakdown and reassemble. I am particularly disappointed with the pressed steel internal case using twisted lugs instead of screws, I am sure this saves a few bob per unit but they wont stand much opening and closing, Sugar should be ashamed of himself. Also why not design it in such a way as to make the HDD assemble easy to remove and replace, you don't expect to take the whole darn thing apart to do it?! The Thompson was sooooo much easier.

I would advise anyone to exercise only gentle pressure when untwisting and re twisting these lugs. Just my two pennyworth.

Bazz.
Bazz

Postby rickyminto » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

One way of copying the latest firm and software from a DRX890 is to make an image of the Hard Disk or use symantic Ghost to copy
rickyminto

Postby rickyminto » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:30 am

As a retired computer tech I read the posts on here with intrest.
I have a sugetion to make regarding copying disks in 890/895 boxes. Try Paragon DRIVE IMAGE, and let me know the result.

rickyminto
rickyminto

Postby rickyminto » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 am

to clone your hard disk try PARAGON DRIVE IMAGE

rickyminto
rickyminto

Amstrad DRX890 HDD upgrade

Postby HerbeMannABg » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:14 am

Hi there,

I recently bought an Amstrad DRX890 Sky HD box off eBay to replace my current Amstrad DRX280.

Thanks to this forum I have managed to take out the HDD from the DRX890 and Im hoping to transfer the programmes from the DRX280 onto the new DRX890.

Before I do this, does anyone know if this is possible? are there any compatibility issues with the 2 different systems? I know the new HD EPG is quite different to the old one.....

Also, does anyone know of any guides to removing the HDD from the DRX280? I managed to open the DRX890 and take out the HDD from a video that somebody posted so kudos for that

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
HerbeMannABg

Previous

Return to Box Upgrade Guides