Connecting the boxes to my laptop ... help

Anything not covered by any other section of the forum.

Connecting the boxes to my laptop ... help

Postby agenthammer » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi, I wonder if you can help me. I'm a little confused by the instructions :oops: . I am upgrading my Sky+ box to HD and have a number of saved programs I wish to transfer across. How do I connect both boxes to my laptop to enable the transfer. I would not want to open the HD box and remove the hard drive as this will invalidate the warranty. When I first came across this wonderful site I assummed I would be able to simple connect the boxes using a cable, save the data to my laptop's hard drive and then copy across to my new HD Box but there are references to "caddies". Could you advise what hardware I need in additon to your Copy+ software. I do have an external hard drive.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated :D

Kind regards

AgentHammer
agenthammer

Re: Connecting the boxes to my laptop ... help

Postby pcbbc » Mon May 31, 2010 11:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post - Also sorry for the delay with the reply, I have been away on holiday :D

I am afraid use of Copy+ is not possible without opening the Sky+ box. None of the USB or eSATA interfaces are activated by Sky.

You require an external USB or eSATA (for Sky+HD) drive caddy, sometimes called an enclosure or adapter. This needs to be physically attached to the Sky+ hard drive.
There is usually no need to physically remove the disk from the box, as the drive can be attached simply by exchanging the cables. However it is necessary to open the box to gain access to the drive cables.

I understand your reluctance regarding the warranty, however I can assure you that I have never heard of a single case of Sky ever pursuing anyone over this. If there is a problem with the box the Sky installer will just swap the box out and never checks the warranty seals. If they are checked at all, it will be back at the service centre during the refurb - by which time it is too late to take action, even if they did care.

Sorry, Stuart.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: Connecting the boxes to my laptop ... help

Postby agenthammer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:11 am

Stuart

thanks for the detailed reply and I hope you are all refreshed after your holiday 8)

I guessed this would be the case. I have discovered that it is possible to access the recording by simply reconnecting the Sky+ box and reinserting the viewing card. I don't think this will work for any recording from a premium channel. Bit of a pain in the (_*_) but saves any drive related work and having to buy a caddy etc.

Thanks for your help and good luck with this great site :D

Kind regards

AgentHammer
agenthammer

Return to Anything Else