OTHER PVR EQUIPMENT

Anything not covered by any other section of the forum.

OTHER PVR EQUIPMENT

Postby heronme » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 am

Morning
If this is a question best left out of any of the forums them feel free to remove it.
I have done the Pace 1TB upgrade sucessfully and am shortly going to receive an Amstrad DRX890 to try a 1.5Tb upgrade (BTW is there an upper limit to the Amstrads drive compatibility like there is with the Pace?)

Anyway my real query is whether anyone is familiar with any external PVR devices. I've been reading about the "HUMAX FREEVIEW DIGITAL TV RECORDER 160GB PVR-9150T" and the "Fetch TV 8000 Freeview PVR Box 160GB".
I'm interested in these as they allow "Picture in Picture" which I can use via my PC TV connection but is not a normal function with my TV. My query is that in olden days you could not record Sky channels on your VCR due to that annoying macrovision chip thing however is this no longer the case with modern Hard Disk recorders?
If it is now possible to copy Sky to other devices then would you recommend any that include some good options such as "Picture in Picture"
Rgds
Alan
Last edited by heronme on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heronme

Re: OTHER PVR EQUIPMENT

Postby heronme » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi
For now I have solved this problem by purchasing the following device.
(a) Technomate Tm5400ci+usb super PVR - allows copying to external hard drive in a USB caddie and has a 9 picture multiscreen display but probably only from the receivers own decoder and internal media player...
Hence -
I additionally purchased
(b) 8-Channel Quad Video Multiplexer Picture-In-Picture. Which will allow up to 8 Picture in picture on a screen from 8 different inputs.
heronme

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Somewhat confused as to what you are trying to achieve here. Are you trying the record the output for Sky+?
I do not believe that any of the PVR devices you have mentioned actually allow recording from an external analogue source (only directly from a digital satellite feed) - Which might scupper your plans a little in this respect.

"multiview chip thing" :?:
Do you mean macrovision protection? That is only present on PPV (Pay Per View) movie and sports events.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby heronme » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 am

Hi
Don't worry about what I'm trying to achieve. I'll let you know if it works / fails once I get the equipment.

However what is the MAX drive you should be able to put into the latest Amstrad DRX890 ignoring speed issues?
heronme

Postby pcbbc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

heronme wrote:Don't worry about what I'm trying to achieve. I'll let you know if it works / fails once I get the equipment.
Ummm...
Bit difficult to try and give an opinion if you don't know what someone is trying to achieve, but there you go...

However what is the MAX drive you should be able to put into the latest Amstrad DRX890 ignoring speed issues?
2TB is the absolute maximum given the current XTVFS file system limitations.
People tell me they have fitted 2TB drives, and they appear to work. Obviously I can not testify to their long term reliability.
Hope this helps.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Anything Else