The Sky Anytime problem ..

Anything not covered by any other section of the forum.

The Sky Anytime problem ..

Postby viaccess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 am

Over the last couple of days, SKY+ users have reported problems with Sky Anytime. If you press the red button, the box reboots.

I wonder if there is any connection between this and the fact that increasing numbers have been having problems using Copy+ since the last firmware update. This update was introduced, I understand, to implement the broadband Anytime feature (only available to those with Sky broadband). I wonder if this update somehow changed the way the box indexes recordings - which is why Copy+ sometimes cannot 'see' the latest recordings made in the planner. perhaps this same thing has messed up the mix of programmes in the Anytime planner.

I have 3 HD boxes at home - two have had problems with Anytime - the third is the one I recently upgraded, so the only programmes in Anytime were recorded AFTER the firmware update. In other words, it is the Box which has caused the problem.

This is only a guess and as i know practically nothing about how the box works if might be wildly incorrect. However, perhaps there is a connection here - and I wonder if those with the skills and knowledge might investigate the possibility?
viaccess

Re: The Sky Anytime problem ..

Postby pcbbc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:20 am

viaccess wrote:I wonder if there is any connection between this and the fact that increasing numbers have been having problems using Copy+ since the last firmware update.
I'm not sure they've had problems with Copy+? The way I see it is they have had problems with Sky+ which has necessitated that they use Copy+ in order to recover their recordings!
So to me, this looks like a problem with the Sky software update and NOT a problem with Copy+. :?:

BTW, there is only one shared planner for both Anytime and User recordings. Additionally Copy+ does not modify that file at all, operating purely at a file system level. So it's unlikely that a change to the planner to introduce a new feature would cause such major disruption if the disk was working perfectly well prior to this. Even if that disk had previously been copied using Copy+.

However I will be keeping an eye on the situation in case there is anything about the new planner that requires attention in Copy+.

Edit:
Jon41 on digitalspy wrote:phoned Sky and they apparently aware of the issue and adviser said currently all the calls are regarding this, was told it was an error with the software and to sit tight while it's fixed.

Link.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: The Sky Anytime problem ..

Postby viaccess » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:13 am

I apologise - I didn't mean to suggest that there is any problem with Copy+! Indeed, I agree with you: Sky have admitted that there is a problem with Anytime - read through this thread on the Digital Spy Forums for example:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... ?t=1354039

I am JamesM on those Forums.

Unless it is a coincidence, all these problems started after the anytime+ update. Sky have obviously botched up their latest firmware, and this has resulted in all manner of problems - and I would bet that the difficulties recorded by many Copy+ users result from the same thing.
viaccess

Return to Anything Else