XTV image combining/merging

What would you like to see in future releases? No promises, mind you!

XTV image combining/merging

Postby Jimbob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Being able to merge multiple .xtv backup images into a single image.

Or even better - The ability to select multiple images as the "source drive" and select programs from these multiple backup images to copy to an unpartitioned drive ready for the Sky box.

Keep up the great work! :)
Jimbob

Re: XTV image combining/merging

Postby pcbbc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Jimbob wrote:Being able to merge multiple .xtv backup images into a single image.

Or even better - The ability to select multiple images as the "source drive" and select programs from these multiple backup images to copy to an unpartitioned drive ready for the Sky box.

Keep up the great work! :)
Thanks for the suggestion - This is something I plan to work on for a future release.

It's quite complex though, because it requires merging (not just copying) of several files - for example your planner. But I am aware of how useful it would be in certain situations.

No promises on time scales though!
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby draken » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Just thought I would add my vote for this feature.

The ability to merge recording from tow discs would come in very handy for me at the moment, and in fact I visited the Copy+ site today hoping for an update. Oh well, next time perhaps!

Many thanks for Copy+; it's a great utility - and free too!

Cheers.
draken

Postby pcbbc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:02 am

Okay, duly noted!
I have recently done some more investigation for something else I was working on, and this may just be possible. Unfortunately it requires an almost complete redesign of the way the software currently works.
There will also be some restrictions. Like if you backup a recording, and then the planner format gets updated with a new EPG release. Merging then would probably be impossible as the two planners would be incompatible.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: XTV image combining/merging

Postby JBF » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm

This is good news. I don't know what the particular difficulties are with implementing this type of feature but I thought it must be possible if we are already able to selectively copy only selected programs from the source to destination. It's just a case of reading from two different sources and writing to one destination although I'm sure technically it's a lot more complicated than that.

This will be great for transferring old programs to a new box if the new box has already been used so can't be wiped clean.
JBF

Return to Copy+ Feature Requests