Help! Files won't copy over

Any other questions about the software?

Help! Files won't copy over

Postby Stevo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 pm

So I took the plunge on a failing Hard drive and I received this message when I tried to save the image:

The file system on this drive is FAT32 and is not suitable for storing image files.
Try selecting an NTFS volume instead.

I first tried to save it to a 1tb external drive (FAT32) that had other items saved on it, but was nowhere near full, I then opened up my spare, BNIB 1tb FAT32 drive & tried to save it to that with exact same message. What I am I doing wrong please?
Stevo

Re: Help! Files won't copy over

Postby kos129 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm

FAT32 can only support files up to about 4gb in size (this is a fundamental limitation due to how the file system works). An image containing your recordings will almost certainly be over this size (1 recording will range between around 500mb to more than 10gb!). The drive you save the image to will therefore need to be formatted as ntfs, this is a newer file system used by recent versions of windows, you can do this by right clicking the drive in windows explorer and selecting format. Note that this will delete ALL data on the drive!
kos129

Postby Stevo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks kos129, I had forgotten about the limitations of FAT32, currently reeling from the loss of my pc & my Sky+ within weeks of each other. I would have been able to do it with my pc no problems. I have found an external drive formatted to NTFS with 500gb free space, I'm assuming it will be okay to just go ahead & Copy+ the Sky+ drive to it, then copy from it to my new 320gb hard drive without any loss of data from the drive?
Stevo

Postby kos129 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Yep, that should be fine. Just copy the recordings from the original drive to an image on the external then copy it back to the new one (note that the new drive will have to be empty though, if it currently has anything on it it will have to be wiped).
kos129

Postby Stevo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Okay, so I forgot to do the initialise on the new disc, Copy+'ed my files over to the new drive & installed it back into my Sky+ box. Tried the planner rebuild, didn't work. Took it out today & found that it has the xtv image file on but that it is in NTFS format? How do I get it into FAT32 format so the Sky+can read it? Or am I missing something? My netbook only allows me to format discs in NTFS format anyway. Help please!

It won't let me initialise the disc so what can I do now?

*EDIT* So found the command prompt to format the disc to FAT 32, hoping I've not ballsed up big time but couldn't really find any answers to quite my situation in the forum & I'm on a limited time to do it as my two boys arrive home soon & with a dismantled Sky+ box there waiting for them......
Stevo

Postby kos129 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Are you trying to put the external drive with the image file on into your sky box (using "XTV Backup Image" as the destination)? That will not work as the image creation feature is there to allow you to back up your sky hard disk to your PC. Instead of selecting "XTV Backup Image" in the destination drive dropdown, you will need to select the target hard drive (like in the picture below:)

Note that for it to be listed the destination drive must be initialised and contain NO partitions (it should not show a drive letter in windows explorer).

Follow the following procedure to delete any partitions on the destination drive (make sure you select the correct drive though!):

1. Open Computer Management (Start -> Right click 'Computer' -> Select 'Manage')
2. Select 'Disk Management' in the left pane (under storage)
3. You should see a list of all your connected disks in the bottom pane, next to your new hard drive you should see a block labelled "Unallocated" (as in the picture below):

If this instead shows a partition, it must first be deleted. You can do this by right clicking on the partition and selecting "Delete Volume", note that this will delete any data contained on the partition (Make sure you select the correct drive!)

When you copy in this way, Copy+ will do all the formatting to the correct file system (a modified version of FAT32). You should not format the disk in any other application as this will not be compatible with Sky+.
kos129

Postby Stevo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 am

A belated thanks for all your help kos129, I transferred the files over as you explained but had to put the old drive back in the Sky+ box in the meantime, before the copy+ could transfer to the new drive, only just managed to empty the subsequent recordings my wife managed to get on there! Just installed the new drive tonight & after a planner rebuild, I now have a 320gb drive sitting working perfectly in my Sky+ box.

A few hiccups along the way, but with a bucketload of your assistance, I got there. Once again, much thanks!
Stevo

Return to Copy+ General Support