Copy+ causes Bluescreen of death on drive scan...

Any other questions about the software?

Copy+ causes Bluescreen of death on drive scan...

Postby xaerocool » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Dear all,

I need some help desperately and on top of that Copy+ is not working as it has in the past.

I've used Copy+ for a couple of years and its always worked wonderfully.

On this occasion both Windows XP and Windows 7 will detect the drive under "Disk Management", the problem is when you open Copy+ and it does a drive scan as soon as it hits the Sky drive windows has a STOP error and you get the Blue screen of death and the machine restarts. I've tried this on 3 different PC's now with the same result.

Under normal circumstances I would have thought the drive is buggered, but I can still access the drive through my computer and folder management. I can even copy files and folders from the Sky drive to my PC.

My question is, is there a way to clone the hard drive considering Copy+ doesn't want to play ball but i'm able to access the file system?

Please help, its not a huge drive but there are a number of recordings that I want...

The drive is a Western digital 320GB IDE drive from my Sky+ box
WD3200AVJB

Many thanks in advance for your time and support.

Xaero,
xaerocool

Re: Copy+ causes Bluescreen of death on drive scan...

Postby pcbbc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 am

Sorry about that. But that's just plain weird - Copy+ should not be doing anything that would cause a BSOD directly. My assumption is this must be coming from a lower level driver, but as an indirect result of some action Copy+ performed?

Does the BSOD or crash dump give any clues about which driver was at fault?
If you have the XTVFS Read Only drivers installed, remove them, reboot and retry. These are the only part of my offering that should cause a BSOD directly.

If that doesn't help, then I suspect a faulty disk (as you say). Copy+ does access parts of the disk (the XTVFS format that differs from FAT32) that Windows won't in reading the file system. So if the error is there, which is causing some response for the drive that the driver can not handle, it would explain why Windows does not have the same problem reading the disk?

Try the FAT2IMG tool in the FAQ Hits and Tips forum. Does this product the same error?

No real way to clone the drive without some kind of tool to do it - e.g. Copy+. There is more to it than just moving the files and folders you can see in Windows under FAT32 to a new disk. XTVFS has a whole load of other structures that need to be correct.

If you have an exact same size drive (to the total LBA count level- i.e. identical drive) then you could use some disk clone software (sorry - unable to recommend anything or advise on settings as I have never had to do this, but you could try Clonezilla which is very powerful) to copy every single sector from one disk to the other without regard to the file system structure. That would work. And it doesn't use the Window driver in live boot mode, so may not get a BSOD?

However I stress that it must be an exact clone - anything which looks at the FAT file system and goes "this space is occupied, so I'll only copy those sectors" will fail (or complete in next to no time, even on a full XTVFS disk) as it will not copy the XTVFS structures. There aren't any tools (except those specifically designed for Sky disks - e.g. Copy+, +Extract, ExPVR etc) which know about XTVFS - it is far too niche a file system.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby xaerocool » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Dear PCBBC

Thanks for the response.

I tried the FAT2IMG application and I still get the BSOD. The exact STOP error is

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0X80000003, 0x80526FE4, 0x80528E4C, 0x00000000)

When you say exact copy of the harddrive i'm assuming its best to get the exact same HD if possible? Then try a sector to sector copy using clonezilla or alike?

Is there any other repair too that you think might help? I was reading other posts and there was a mention of a MBR repair tool. Do you think that a boot record repair might help?

Could you send me this so I can see if causes a BSOD?

The frustrating thing is it seems all the content is on the drive as I've copied Gigs off it without a problem...What is also frustrating is that the drive is completely full.

Many thanks for the support

Xaero,
xaerocool

Postby pcbbc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks - But not a lot of help sorry! I was hoping more for something along the lines of:
The problem seems to have been caused by: tcpip.sys
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

You can get the details from the mindump, if you have it enabled. See http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
Do not worry too much. Even with the details it may not help much. Just an indication of which driver is bombing.

I'm doubtful, but I suppose a boot record repair might help. But I can not think what would be wrong with it that would cause such an error? FAT2IMG is an extremely simple program. All it does is read and write sectors from the hard drive through standard user mode calls. I can not see how that would cause a BSOD with a correctly functioning drive.

Most hard drive manufacturers supply some kind of disk scanning, diagnostic and repair tools. You could try their website? If possible look for a bootable CD version so you are not relying on Windows (so as to avoid the driver BSOD).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support