SKY+ Upgrade

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

SKY+ Upgrade

Postby danandrews80 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 am

Hi

I am looking to try and upgrade my SKY+ box and was wondering what the maximum size that will be compatible. I have looked through the forums, but I am not sure whether 1TB is just for SKY HD or whether this is the same for SKY+.

Could someone please let me know what the maximum available is and what the best model to get would be thanks in advance for the help
danandrews80

Re: SKY+ Upgrade

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am

danandrews80 wrote:I am looking to try and upgrade my SKY+ box and was wondering what the maximum size that will be compatible. I have looked through the forums, but I am not sure whether 1TB is just for SKY HD or whether this is the same for SKY+.
To the best of my knowledge, 1TB is good for SkyHD and Sky+ boxes. You certainly can't go larger than 1TB.
However note that the maximum size supported for natively formatting (full system reset) the drive in the box itself is 508GB. Above 508Gb you must use Copy+ to do the preparation of the drive.
Also note that I am unaware of any PATA drives above 750GB - All available 1TB drives are SATA only. So this is a practical upper limit is 750GB unless you want to chance using a PATA to SATA bridge board. I've used one in a Pace V1 box, and had a successful report from a Pace V2 owner also. However I regard this method of attaching drives as still highly experimental. I really wouldn't want to recommend it for guaranteed success.

Could someone please let me know what the maximum available is and what the best model to get would be thanks in advance for the help
All the information I have available on drives that have been suggested to me as working with various models is detailed here.
Other than that you are on your own, although the Seagate DB35 ACE drives are a very popular and widely available choice at the moment.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby danandrews80 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 am

Ok I am more confused now so I need to buy a PATA HDD then, and this will then just swap out with the old one, or do I need to buy a converter, thanks
danandrews80

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 am

danandrews80 wrote:Ok I am more confused now so I need to buy a PATA HDD then, and this will then just swap out with the old one, or do I need to buy a converter, thanks
For Sky+:
PATA drive up to 750GB. Direct replacement.
If you use a SATA drive for 1TB you will need a SATA to PATA converter board - you are welcome to try, but not recommended for guaranteed success.

For SkyHD:
SATA drives up to 1TB. No need for converter.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby danandrews80 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 am

Okay is PATA the same as the old IDE drives? for example would this be ok http://www.ebuyer.com/product/110738/sh ... ct_reviews
danandrews80

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 am

danandrews80 wrote:Okay is PATA the same as the old IDE drives? for example would this be ok http://www.ebuyer.com/product/110738/sh ... ct_reviews
All hard drives for attaching to PCs and Sky boxes are IDE (and ATA for that matter).
PATA the old standard IDE/ATA drives with 40/80 way ribbon cables.
SATA the new standard IDE/ATA drives with 7 pin serial connections.

The Seagate ST3750640A might be okay. It's certainly a PATA drive if that is what you are asking.
However I'd be inclined to look for one with the ACE suffix - these are tuned for use in CE (Consumer Electronics) devices such as PVRs.

Edit: Here you go Seagate DB35 7200.3 for DVR ST3750840ACE
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews