Western Digital 320GB malfunction ,should i get a ST3500320?

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Western Digital 320GB malfunction ,should i get a ST3500320?

Postby neil_red » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 am

Been having a lot of problems lately with this drive. In general it will record program's whilst watching other live or recorded programmes. If you rewind a programme, live or recorded, sometimes the box freezes and then it affacts the proam thats being recorded at the same time. Other times I get power failure or inability to record because you cannot hear the drive spinning, unplug and plug back in and its working. Again, even though this happens, it can go for a couple of days without a problem. Strange thing happened tonight were it recorded 18mins of I'm a Celeb, then the program just finished, no message to say power failure or program interupted. It generally seems to be the FTA channels that are affected.

What I need to know is, has anyone else had these problems and managed to overcome them.

If not, I have just seen this Seagate drive on ebuyer, Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB , and wondering whether it is worth an upgrade to that instead.
neil_red

Postby pcbbc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 am

Sorry you've had problems.
From your other posts I think you are referring to a Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB in a Pace V2 box. This may be important if anyone is able to offer advice.
pcbbc
Site Admin

ST3500320AS

Postby neil_red » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 am

This drive is now getting worse, if you are recording the program, and then rewind the program whilst still being recorded, it plays fine up until the point in the program when you pressed rewind and the program freezes. If you are recording 2 programs and on of the programs finishes whilst the other is recording, again the program that is still being recorded freezes and exits to live tv.

I have been doing a big of research and I seem to be finding that Seagate seem to be the safe option for upgrading drives. The original drive was a seagate before this upgrade. Has anyone had any luck with this drive, ST3500320AS, currently at dabs here http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... 0,45560000

Need to buy a new drive ASAP!

Thanks,
Neil.
neil_red

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews