Upgrading from a Thompson 160GB DSI16210 to SKY HD

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Upgrading from a Thompson 160GB DSI16210 to SKY HD

Postby korlinski » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I have ordered Sky HD which will be coming on Wednesday.
I currently have the 160GB branded sky+ box (DSI16210) and am wondering if I can convert the stuff that on it onto my new Sky HD box. At this stage I don't know which version of the HD box I will get.

My major worry is that Sky is/has updated the sky planner in the new HD boxes. Will this make a difference in upgrading from this Sky+ box?

If it doesn't I think I will be ok. Just a quick point, anything to look out for for a new HDD? anything not compatible with a new Sky HD box?

Cheers
korlinski

Re: Upgrading from a Thompson 160GB DSI16210 to SKY HD

Postby pcbbc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 am

Hi,
Firstly, sorry for the delay in replying - I have been away on holiday recently and didn't have internet access.
The good news is that there are no known issues with going from SD to HD boxes. The only thing you may need to do is a data conversion for certain boxes depending on the "endianness" of the processor used.
The planner change makes no difference. The Sky software is clever enough to be able to upgrade older versions of the planner to the new format when it first boots up. This process is required in order to allow the box to convert an old planner to the new format when a new EPG version is downloaded to the box.
The only thing you need to look out for is that the new HDD (from the new box) will already be formatted and partitioned. Delete the partition (make sure you have the correct disk selected before deleting ANYTHING) in Windows Disk Management before you start so that the disk is visible as a destination in Copy+.
Regards, Stuart.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews