Samsung Seagate 1TB upgrade

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Samsung Seagate 1TB upgrade

Postby far2wired » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Firstly Copy+ went flawlessly!

I've upgraded the HD in my Samsung Sky HD box with a 1TB Seagate Pipeline. It all went fine. Though a bit disappointed as the Samsung has the HD in the middle of the box compared to my old Pace where is in its own compartment to the side...

Functionally everything is working fine, 2x recordings etc BUT When playing back a recording the disk makes whats best described as "clunks". It is audible from where we sit to watch!

Now from my PC experience I'd say its lots of head movements as the disk is doing more than one read/write. I still have Anytime turned on though from what I understand I cant see this being the culprit of extra writes?

Have to say I was bought by the "multiple media streams" capbility of the drive. :wink: But is the clunking normal?
far2wired

Re: Samsung Seagate 1TB upgrade

Postby pcbbc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:29 pm

What AAM setting do you have this drive configured at?
Unless it is a CE or AV rated drive, most likely it is not at its minimum setting.
Try setting the drive to quiet mode. This will have minimal impact on performance, but will result in a marked decrease in noise levels, especially when stepping the heads.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby ToggY » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I've heard Seagate drives do not support AAM management ?.

If I'm wrong what software can one use? There is a program called Hddscan seen on the web
ToggY

Postby pcbbc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Sorry, yes you could be right. Although they may have got over their patent issues by now.
HDDScan should allow you to set the AAM if it is available.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews