Amstrad Sky+ HD 1Tb Upgrade

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Amstrad Sky+ HD 1Tb Upgrade

Postby Engineer247 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Have just upgraded my Amstrad DRX780 Sky+ HD box to 1Tb HDD following the excellent how to guides on the copy+ forum.Fitted a SATA 2 Western Digital Caviar with 32MB cache after cloning the old drive using the new beta version of the copy+ utility and two usb2 connected SATA drive caddies connected to a laptop running Windows Vista. The hd box came apart like a dream , no broken clips or mis-placed screws , I removed the original Western Digital 320Gb drive and 4 hours later bolted in the 1Tb drive. Hey presto free space went from 6% to 81% and have had absolutely no problems since, system appears every bit as stable as before , I did carry out a planner rebuild from installer menu as a precaution. I think on the odd occasion the new drive is slightly noisier than the oem unit but not annoyingly so. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone seeking freedom from the very poor storage capability of the 320GB equipped HD box , you don't need to be a rocket scientist to get it done either.
I would strongly advise the use of an anti static wrist strap whilst handling the drives as a precaution.
Engineer247

Re: Amstrad Sky+ HD 1Tb Upgrade

Postby pcbbc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

Cool - Thanks for your feedback and contribution!
I am glad everything went well, and wish you luck with your 1TB upgraded box.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Engineer247 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 pm

pcbbc wrote:Cool - Thanks for your feedback and contribution!
I am glad everything went well, and wish you luck with your 1TB upgraded box.

Superb utility and cracking forum thank you very much for your interest ! Only problem is just about everyone I know now wants me to do the same thing for them - a bewildering array of pvr2.5 and pvr 3 boxes from several different manufacturers (friends and family I assure you I'm not doing this for money !!!) - I expect some dissapointments as well as success stories over the next few weeks - will keep the forum posted !
Engineer247

Postby pcbbc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:54 pm

LOL - Well, good luck!
Best advice is to make sure you chose your drive carefully and check the various forums for any compatibility issues between box and drive before purchase.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby markshark » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Engineer247,

Can you please advise the model of the WD drive you used? Is it the green, black or another one please?

Cheers.
markshark

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews