Samsung HD Box, which Drive? I've tried 2

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Samsung HD Box, which Drive? I've tried 2

Postby coley » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:02 pm

I brought a samsung HD+ box to replace my multiroom sky+ box, so I created an image of the little endian'd sky+ using copy+ then imaged (into big endian) onto a brand new Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103UJ), the same drive that is in my main Sky HD (thompson) box.

Had sky pair the card to the box, looked in the planner, all recordings there and chose a couple at random and they played, Initially, all looked good, however, then the box hung a few times, requiring switching off at the mains to regain control, followed by the drive spinning up and spinning down, making it difficult to browse the tv guide, followed by trying to record, the box crashing, coming back on in record, something in planner, but 0% unplayable.

Using the engineers menu, Rebuilt the planner, still no fix, did a system reset (which took 3 attempts as the box kept crashing) and still no joy, lots of spinning up and spinning down, like a hard drive reset.

So, then I tried a seagate barracuda 7200.11 1000gb drive, this wasnt even recognised by the system, saying no sky+ functions were available, so I fitted the original Pipeline HD drive (320GB) and all works, all sky+ functions, all previous recordings and no hard drive resets, so I know the box is fine.

So ... could anybody please tell me what is considered to be the best drive for the samsung box?

thanks in advance, I know I went on a bit!
coley

Re: Samsung HD Box, which Drive? I've tried 2

Postby pcbbc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 pm

The user skituscanycom on here was the pioneer of drives for the Samsung box, so you may want to look up some of his threads.
Hope that helps.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby coley » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:42 pm

looks like the recommended drive is the seagate ST31000533cs , but this looks as rare as rocking horse s**t to get hold of, lol, does anybody know if any well known stores stock this drive?
coley

Postby Skid Solo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Have you had any luck in finding a ST31000533cs ?

I am just about to have my Amstrad HD box replaced with a new Samsung (very long story but have been promised a new Samsung, will believe it when it turns up) Not sure what Samsung box will appear as I believe there is now a 500gig version.

Anyway I would still want to upgrade as I had a 1tb drive in my Amstrad so was looking for a compatible drive, has anybody else had any luck with a drive in the Samsung, I currently have a Western Digital WD10EADS fitted to Amstrad and I have read of one person who has this in a Samsung, I don’t mind buying another drive as I need one for PC backup anyway, just wan to buy one that will work and I cant find a ST31000533cs anywhere
Skid Solo

Postby coley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi, I did get a ST31000533cs but I found it on ebay, couldnt find one in stock anywhere, I missed the auction, but mailed the seller and he said he had another, brand new, so we agreed a price and true to his word he posted the next day, so along with another thread I have on here, where I needed an alpha version of copy+, the samsung is running fine with all of the programs from the previous sky+ box.
coley

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews