Western Digital WD2500AVJB in a Pace 3100 PVR2

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Western Digital WD2500AVJB in a Pace 3100 PVR2

Postby Mockenrue » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am

Hi all - bit of a long winded one this so please bear with me.

I've just replaced my ailing five year old Amstrad DRX-180 PVR2 with a used Pace 3100 PVR2 after reading up on it on here and other sites. When the Pace arrived I hooked it up and checked that everything worked as it should, which it did. Oddly, I could receive subscription channels and record/play programmes at this stage even though I hadn't yet paired my card. Afterwards I removed its 40Gb Maxtor drive and fitted the Western Digital WD2500AVJB 250Gb drive which I've been using in the Amstrad since last summer. Before doing so, I converted the contents of the disk to Little Endian using Copy+ and then backed them up just in case.

When I powered the 3100 up, I got the 'There are no programmes in your Sky+ planner' message when I tried to access the planner, and the '2h-57@ system fault - SKY+ Recording and Playback unavailable, please call .....' message when attempting to rewind or record anything. Thinking that this was a result of not having done a Full System Reset after fitting the drive, I removed it and restored my recordings from the Copy+ backup. I had to leave this running overnight as the disk is around 80% full.

Once this was complete, I refitted the drive and to my dismay nothing had changed so at this point I assumed it was because I hadn't yet paired the card. I rang Sky and got this done; the operator told me it should only take five minutes or so to take effect. After about an hour nothing had changed and the error messages persisted, so I rebooted the box several times and did a planner rebuild - all to no avail.

Reading up on one or two similar threads I came to the conclusion that a Full System Reset was necessary. Doing this fixed the problem but obviously this has wiped the disk. My question to the experts here is this: what are the chances of my being able to restore the saved recordings once more onto the drive bearing in mind that I'd already done this once prior to performing a FSR? I had read that FSRs weren't necessary when using Copy+ prior to installing a replacement drive.

As a side note, this Pace box wipes the floor with the Amstrad equivalent I had. Faster menu navigation and response, smoother FF/rewind, improved picture and sound quality and the box itself is quieter. Most important of all though: no sound dropouts, no taking five minutes to start up, no freezing during playback, no 'FAILED' recordings when it's been on standby and when I turn it on I see the channel I left it on rather than 998!

Manufacturer: Pace
Model Number: 6.2.10
Version number: 9F2105
Serial number: 00708105xx
Operating System Version: 1.31B10
EPG software version: 5.07u
Mockenrue

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews