Amstrad sky hd box 780c-uk upgraded to 1tb no problems

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Amstrad sky hd box 780c-uk upgraded to 1tb no problems

Postby alpine » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Upgraded my amstrad sky hd box 780c-uk to 1tb hdd 2 weeks ago.Used a samsung spinpoint f3 hd103sj 1tb hdd (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804) £61.used the guides on several sites and found it quite easy,did have to reopen box several days later to set hdd to quiet on aam,default setting on hdd was a bit noisey (crystaldiskinfo 3.5.6).found the new hdd works well and is very quiet(recording 2 hd channels and playing 1 recorded hd program at same time).used Copy+ version 1.2.0.6 ,laptop and usb to sata cable with power (ebay £5.99)to set up hdd .chose this samsung hdd due to similar spec to orginal wd hdd.
Update- 3 months after 1tb hdd upgrade, sky hd and new hdd still working with no problems (no failed recording,no standby or power problems, epg running at normal speed and hdd quiet)
alpine

Re: Amstrad sky hd box 780c-uk upgraded to 1tb no problems

Postby pcbbc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks for your review, alpine.
Glad your chosen disk is working successfully and you found Copy+ useful.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby specialk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:36 pm

I have just followed Alpine's example with same replacement drive on my Amstrad.
All very smooth, although a couple of programs showed as 'failed' but I could live without them. Now have 85% free instead of 11%. Disk seems similar noise level to original so haven't tried to quieten it. Took about 90 mins to copy from HDD to PC and then same again the other way.

dmaidmen's guide invaluable. Thanks go to him and copy+.
specialk

Postby aerostorm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 am

Hi Alpine

I have the same box & replacement drive! I'd be keen to know how you managed to quieten the dive down (i.e. what technique is involved?) as mine sounds a little 'clicky'!

Also, now you've had yours installed for a while do you have any problems? As mine has started to lock up already! :( Boring!

Many thanks in advance
Daniel
aerostorm

Postby shifty27 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:45 pm

aerostorm wrote:Hi Alpine

I have the same box & replacement drive! I'd be keen to know how you managed to quieten the dive down (i.e. what technique is involved?) as mine sounds a little 'clicky'!

Also, now you've had yours installed for a while do you have any problems? As mine has started to lock up already! :( Boring!

Many thanks in advance
Daniel

Go to google

search for samsung estool

Go to samsungs site that was in the google search

download the version for CD not FDD (FDD is for floppy disks)

Extract the ZIP file and burn the contents of the ZIP to a blank CD.

Reboot your computer and press F12 at the bios screen (Most bios'es have F12 as their boot select option) and go to CD/DVD and click enter.

When the utility loads go to the option AAM and look for the options and select quietest. This will make the samsung hard drive a little quieter in the sky box.

Hope this helps ppl!
shifty27

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews