Brand New Amstrad 890C - What's best

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Brand New Amstrad 890C - What's best

Postby artanor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm

OK So I am new to Sky, got my HD box about a month ago and quite quickly filled it. I figured an upgrade was in order and I wasn't gonna pay £250 for a 1TB box, that's daylight robbery! I bought myself a WD10EVDSfiguring I would just swap out the drive and the box would sort itself out. I thought I should check if there were any gotchas on the web first and came across this site. I was already expecting to loose all my recordings and briefly thought Copy+ would save me then I read about 'darwin' and realized Copy+ wouldn't work :/ having read through quite a few posts I then wondered if my initial plan would even work!

So my question is can I just swap the current disk for my 1TB one and do a reset and the whole disk will be recognised or will I need to find a pre darwin image from somewhere and prepare my new disk with that ?

And once I have done the above is it worth me hanging on to my old disk in the hope that I will be able to transfer the recording off it at some later date ?

Cheers
Art
artanor

Re: Brand New Amstrad 890C - What's best

Postby Joey » Mon May 02, 2011 11:42 am

A pre darwin image is required. You can't merge recordings from different disks so if you keep the original disk you'll lose whatever is on the new disk.
Joey

Re: Brand New Amstrad 890C - What's best

Postby jefros » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi, i've taken Sky up on their offer of a new box to replace my Thomson 8215, which I have a 1TB drive in.

I'm looking to put the 1TB in the new box, as I see you have to put a "pre-darwin" image on the drive, so would this therefore work as a direct swap?? :?
jefros

Return to General HDD replacement discussion