+Extract Plus Stopped Running

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

+Extract Plus Stopped Running

Postby managerpete » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi, I have recently installed +Extract Plus (Version 0.4.0.8) and purchased the license key. The first time I used the software after entering the key, the extract process worked fine (sky disk in a caddy connected by USB), and I was also able to convert the files.

After a couple of days, I tried to run the software again, but it would not load, no windows displaying. Tried rebooting the PC, but problem persisted. Noticed that +Extract processes were running in background (viewed via Task Manager) which resulted in me having to 'force' PC to shut down.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but same problem occurred. I cannot recall making any signifcant changes to the PC since the first successful use of +Extract (no new software etc.).

N.B. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks, Peter.
managerpete

Re: +Extract Plus Stopped Running

Postby neildo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the trouble this is causing you.

First thing to do is to disconnect your Sky+ hdd from the PC and leave it unconnected.

Secondly, start +Extract and it should present itself almost immediately.

I've noticed on 64bit systems (Vista, Windows 7 & Server 2008) that the the calls to WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) take an inexplicable long time to do whatever it does in the background, to try to gather info on the disk.

If you do as above and +Extract appears almost immediately then this is the culprit. It doesn't always happen and a workaround I've found is to:

1) Power down the drive while connected to the PC while you're waiting for +Extract to appear. The drive will be marked as read-only so no corruption will occur.
2) Leave drive off for 30secs
3) Power on again. +Extract should pick it up and behave normally.

I've never tracked down the cause of this WMI hang.

Hope this helps.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Postby pcbbc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Neil, which fields are you requesting of WMI? Depending on what you ask for in the query can have an effect on how long it takes to return results.

For example if free space is required this can increase response times considerably as the disk needs to be scanned to determine this level of detail.

A lot of WMI samples I've seem tend to query everything about the disk and then only use one or two fields they actually are interested in, which of course is a mistake.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby managerpete » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Neil, I tried starting +Extract with the Sky hdd unconnected, but the software still did not start. +Extract.exe appeared as an Image Name (2 to 4% CPU) in the Task Manager, along with aszbrowsehelper.exe *32, which was taking up a massive 20 to 25% CPU (not sure what this process does). However, when I ended this process, +Extract started immediately.

Started the Sky hdd, and +Extract scanned the drive within 10 seconds.

It appears that everytime I start +Extract, the aszbrowsehelper.exe *32 process also starts (tried this a couple of times now). When I end this process, the software then starts.

I'm pleased to get +Extract working again, but I'm curious as to why aszbrowsehelper.exe *32 appears. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Peter.
managerpete

Postby neildo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

+Extract is a self contained .exe file (using .NET 3.0). 'aszbrowsehelper.exe' is nothing to do with me. A quick google on that name reveals it to be spyware... Again, nothing to do with me... :cry:

Can you try +Extract on another (clean, vanilla) PC? Email me for a License code.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Return to +Extract General Support