Bit of help on use of Extract+

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Bit of help on use of Extract+

Postby mogwai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Recently my Thomson Sky HD box has failed. I have replaced this with one of the new 1Tb boxes. What I would like to know is that using Extract+ can I get and watch what is on the hard drive? Most of what I want to get at was recorded from Sky1 HD. Can Extract + help with this?

As I don't really want to open up my new box and use copy + as I would invalidate the years warranty.
mogwai

Re: Bit of help on use of Extract+

Postby neildo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Sorry but Sky 1 HD is an encrypted channel. Its not possible to decrypt the recordings so no point opening your box.
neildo
Expert

Postby mogwai » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had thought of an alternative solution, this being to get the PSU looked at in my dead Thompson box and if I can get it going again, put my hd sky card in and watch the content.
mogwai

Postby neildo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Your viewing card will be paired to the new HD box meaning that you won't be able to view any encrypted content on your old box, if you get its PSU repaired. You could subscribe to 'multiroom' and get a second new card which could be paired to the old HD box. Costs £10 per month for multiroom and exactly mirrors your main subscription.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Postby pcbbc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:07 pm

neildo wrote:Your viewing card will be paired to the new HD box meaning that you won't be able to view any encrypted content on your old box
Sorry, actually Neil that is incorrect... :oops:

An unpaired card can playback content that was recorded with it in any box. All this is required is:
a) A working satellite feed to the box
b) The card still has a valid subscription to the channel
c) The channel is not a premium channel (Movie or Sports) - FTA and mix recordings are fine however.

See Card Pairing FAQ.

Also, although technically you are voiding your warranty, I can not give you a single case of Anyone ever being pursued over this. All that happens is the Sky installer turns up and swaps your box like any other. When the box gets back to the repair centre, whether it was a warranty exchange or a paid for (£65 callout) exchange has long since been lost in the system and Sky are past caring.

I know for a fact that their repair centres also have a growing collection of "non-OEM" hard drives (i.e. ones the boxes weren't originally shipped with) and they don't do anything about that either.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby neildo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

I stand corrected :D
neildo
Expert

Return to +Extract General Support