Thomson HD upgrade problem

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Thomson HD upgrade problem

Postby sim76uk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am

I have been trying to upgrade my old Thomson HD box over the weekend but seem to have hit a stumbling block. The HD box is some 4 yrs old and was last used back in March when we upgraded to a brand new 1TB box but now Sky have droped the HD subscription per box thought might as well use this old one as our second box.

I have replaced the failing PSU and thought might as well upgrade the hard drive at the same time.

I took out the old hard drive .. hooked up to my PC and extracted a couple of tv programs (to save time as didnt need the full planner) using Copy+, I have then attached the new 'blank' hard drive and copied back across the progams again using Copy+

Inserted the new drive back into the Sky box and switched on the box... this is where I hit a stumbling block.. I cannot get the box out of standby.

I have however been able to force a software update using the hold down the back up button and power on method.. the info screen appears saying update downloading etc but then after a few minutes the box just stops, turns it self off and again I cannot get it out of standby.

As a last resort I even tried to force a full system reset using the hold left and right buttons down and power on method but this does not work not matter if I hold down the buttons for well over a minute.

Am I missing something simple here ? Do I need to do something differently ?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
sim76uk

Re: Thomson HD upgrade problem

Postby kos129 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Have you tried using the old hard drive again? It is possible that the new drive is drawing too much power (the hard drives supplied with sky boxes tend to be low-power drives designed for PVR use).
kos129

Return to General HDD replacement discussion